Thursday, August 19, 2010

Psychology, Political Science, Social Science, or Social Work?

I work as a residential counselor, and talking during a team minute about the clients made me interested in psychology again. The problem is now I can't seem to stop thinking about psychology. I had considered becoming a psychologist before, but managed to talk myself out of it. Now I am again thinking of becoming one. The only problem is this further adds to my delimma of trying to make a decision. I had narrowed it down to two choices, ( a career focusing on poli sci and sociology) but now I am at four choices (those two and social work and psychology). I managed to start thinking about social work because it uses all of these social sciences but the problem is it doesn't primarily focus on them. I wish there was a way to get a phd in clinical psychology and a phd in either political science or sociology. I guess there probably is, but I am not trying to be in school forever. Anyone have any suggestions about how to choose between these choices or should I just pick one?

Psychology, Political Science, Social Science, or Social Work?
You can pretty much do you PhD in anything you want to do (and there are always interdisciplinary programs). A phd differs from undergrad and even MA in that it is primarily about asking a question and seeking to answer it. I would encourage you to ask your self what question are you hoping to answer. This will guide you to studying with a particular focus and even perhaps a particular person.





I would encourage you to use your time in your BA to begin to build the skills to ask the question you want to ask.





DA
Reply:I can't speak for Political Science because I'm really not that familiar with the subject. However, I am educated in Social Work, but did consider Psychology and Sociology before I made my final decision. What I have come to realize is that although Sociology and Psychology are very interesting fields, you will have a very difficult time finding a job with a Bachelors Degree in either of those fields. They are not considered "hands on" degrees. Social Work is the preferred degree for many of the social service fields such as the one that you are currently in. If you do decide on Sociology or Psychology, you will need a minimum of a Masters Degree to find a decent job with decent pay. Even then, Sociology is very limited. If you would eventually like to teach at the college level, a PhD in any of those fields with qualify you.


No comments:

Post a Comment